‘We are all broken, that’s how the light gets in.’ – Ernest Hemingway

New lights are in Titan Phase.

I’ve built a mostly working version of the networked high powered LED lights.

The Lights:

  • Three arrays of 3W LED’s.
  • There are an assortment of 25 or so white LED’s ranging from 4500-12000 kelvin
  • Eight Red at 660nm
  • Eight Blue at 445nm
  • Each array can be powered individually
  • Led’s mounted on aluminum one inch angle stock for heat dissipation.

Microcontroller:

  • ESP32 hooked up to 4 relay module
  • Programmed with micropython. Connects to a mqtt broker on a raspberry pi running Node-Red to schedule the lights (This might sound like overkill if you’re not home-automation adjacent like myself, but if you are at all interested in IoT stuff, running Node-Red on a Pi is a gamechanger and I wish I did this way earlier).

Obviously the lights are not yet ready for Phase SmokeShow, but they are a proof of concept, of sorts. I need to clean up the wiring and I need to replace the drivers. The drivers, though they seem to be working fine, are fairly cheap and I’d like to replace them with something more substantial. At that point, I’m hoping to have a better handle on dimming with constant current arrays and have the ESP32 handle that as well.

This is a photo of the setup with the old lights – primarily 5050smd led strips and a couple of NeoPixel 12” led’s off amazon. In hindsight, I see the folly of that setup now, but its been a cool process of learning not only about the mechanical/electrical aspect of light as well as the way that plants utilize light.

Here’s another shot of the new rig:

The comparison is a little unfair because of the way the camera on my phone calibrates automatically – but the difference is drastic.

I’ve noticed a few things in the two weeks or so I’ve been running this on a 12 hour light cycle.

  • There’s been an all round shift in plant growth. Not only in volume, but in character.
  • Almost all plants have more red in their stems. The Hygrophilia Stricta that I have growing above the surface in basically growing deep red/purple leaves. The stems of the Creeping Jenny have turned red, while their leaves have a very nice tender green colouring.
  • There is a small clustering ground cover plant that I unearthed from my garden. Outside it is often deep purple, but previously in the tank it had turned a healthy-ish green colour. It has now returned to its dark purple colouration.
  • My Morning Glories flowered almost immediately with the new lights. The leaves that are directly under one of the red LEDs is growing with these cool purple veins through the leaf structure.
  • The aquatic plants are reacting more slowly. I’m noticing some steady growth, but nothing spectacular. My thinking is that the plant growth is now most limited by my water quality/paramaters.  My water is fairly hard from the tap, and with the amount of volume the tank loses to evaporation… its causing problems, to say the least.
  • The Sagittaria Subulata seems to be enjoying the increased light.
  • There’s been an increase in Algae. Nothing dramatic, but I wouldn’t be surprised if I came home one day soon to some green water.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *